Powerful partnerships. Standout solutions.
- Valley Forge
- Phone: 215.751.1941
- Fax: 610.236.4170
- White Collar Defense and Investigations
Bill is Chair of Stevens & Lee’s White Collar Defense and Investigations Group and a member of the Antitrust and Trade Regulation Practice Group. He has a long and successful history of defending corporations and individuals against federal criminal investigations and indictments and has represented clients in a broad range of commercial civil cases, including antitrust class actions and other claims that often follow or coincide with federal criminal or regulatory investigations.
Bill has tried more than 100 criminal and civil cases to verdict over the last 50 years, primarily in the federal courts of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. He has a long history of consistently obtaining excellent outcomes at trial and in helping clients achieve non-prosecution decisions following lengthy state and federal investigations.
Before entering private practice, he served as a trial attorney with the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice and as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Following his tenure with the DOJ, Bill was appointed by the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania to represent indigent defendants charged with a wide range of felony criminal offenses. These appointments required several jury trials per year that increasingly resulted in not-guilty verdicts and he became increasingly sought out by companies and individuals under investigation for more complex economic crimes. During roughly the same time span, Bill represented the former Amoco Corporation (now British Petroleum) in dozens of civil cases filed in the federal courts of Pennsylvania and New Jersey under the Petroleum Marketing Practices Act. Nearly all of these civil jury trials resulted in defense verdicts. Bill went on to represent Amoco in commercial litigation regarding its drilling, refining and downstream marketing operations, including consumer class actions in Pennsylvania in New Jersey following the settlement of a Federal Trade Commission Consumer Fraud investigation involving the major oil companies.
With the skill, experience and reputation gained during the first 20 years of his career, Bill has continued to defend numerous companies and individuals including corporate officers, professionals and elected officials in complex and high profile federal and state investigations as well as about 20 lengthy and complex jury trials during the last two decades. Because of his reputation and courtroom record, Bill has also been successful in obtaining non-prosecution decisions by the DOJ in high profile antitrust, political corruption and fraud investigations and has been able to negotiate favorable settlements in class actions and individual antitrust and trade regulations cases.
Recent Representative Cases
- Not guilty verdict for public school teacher alleged to be involved in distribution of drug paraphernalia
- Not guilty verdict for seller of distressed general merchandize on federal theft from interstate shipment charges
- Not guilty verdict for Ivy League College Employee alleged to have assisted in the prison escape of her youngest son serving a life sentence
- Not guilty verdict for roofing company executive on federal bid rigging charges
- Not guilty verdict for property owner alleged to have been part of a drug distribution conspiracy involving the premises
- Judgement of acquittal of New York business owner alleged to be involved in a complex RICO and tax evasion conspiracy
- Not guilty verdict for New Jersey medical doctor on federal Bankruptcy Fraud Charges
- Not guilty verdict for prominent Philadelphia investment banker alleged to have made false statements to the government regarding a high profile political corruption scheme
- Not guilty verdict for prominent Delaware stockbroker on all 44 counts of Indictment charging securities fraud and forgery
- Not guilty verdicts for Philadelphia attorney alleged to be part of a scheme to influence zoning legislation by Philadelphia City Council
- Not guilty verdicts for Philadelphia Traffic Court Judge on multiple count of federal Indictment alleging multiple mail and wire fraud schemes to fix traffic tickets
- Not guilty verdict for executive of infrastructure Maintenance Company on federal indictment alleging immigration and witness tampering charges
- Not guilty verdict for corporation and corporate officer alleged to engaged in a wire fraud scheme with hung jury on other charges
- Obtained prosecution declination from DOJ- Antitrust Div. on behalf of corporate executives in Polyurethane Foam and Generic Drug Investigations
- Obtained prosecution declination from DOJ on behalf of staff members of two Pennsylvania Senators each charged with political corruption and on behalf of a business executive alleged to have bribed a Pennsylvania Senator
- Obtained substantial compensatory and punitive damage jury verdicts in Insurance Litigation against major national insurance company
- Obtained multi-million dollar jury award as a member of the trial team in a complex antitrust action against a competitor in the Radio Frequency ID sector
- Obtained defense verdict and multi-million dollar verdict on counterclaim against catalyst broker on behalf of major oil company regarding fraudulently graded catalyst purchase for Texas City and North Dakota Refineries
- Obtained a directed defense verdict during trial for major Real Estate Brokerage on alleged violation of New Jersey antitrust laws
- Obtained dismissal of consumer class actions against major oil company in consumer fraud litigation in Pennsylvania and New Jersey state courts
- Obtained substantial settlement as lead counsel in federal class action on behalf of minors and young adults charged with invalid NJ Municipal Ordinance
- Member of trial team that obtained defense verdicts following 6-week class action jury trial in In re. Egg Products Antitrust Direct Purchaser Litig. in 2018
- Obtained favorable settlements as lead counsel for defendant companies in In re Mushroom Antitrust Litigation on the eve of trials in 2019 and 2020
- American Bar Association, Criminal Law and Antitrust and Trade Regulation Sections
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- New Jersey Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Since the mid-1980s, Bill has been rated AV®Preeminent™ by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell, which is the highest possible rating for legal ability and general ethics. Since 2004, Bill has been repeatedly recognized as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer selected by his peers as among the top 5 percent of lawyers in Pennsylvania. He has also been repeatedly listed as among The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Criminal Defense: White Collar. Additionally, The American Registry has recognized Bill as among the top 1% of lawyers who hold a variety of recognitions, honors, significant mentions and the esteem of clients and peers. He is also listed in the Chambers Guide to America’s Leading Business Lawyers in the area of White Collar Crime and Government Investigations, an honor given by international legal research publisher Chambers & Partners based on an intensive research process incorporating client feedback.
- Duquesne University School of Law, J.D., Law Review
- Villanova University, B.S., Economics
- New Jersey
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania