Environmental Regulatory and Litigation
Representative Cases and Investigations
- United States v. Atlas Minerals and Chemicals, Inc. – Representation of two third-party defendants in CERCLA litigation, including proceeding through part of trial for one client before obtaining favorable settlement.
- A.K. Steel v. PAC et al. – Representation of international chemical manufacturer in CERCLA (Superfund) federal court litigation.
- USEPA v. Zep, Inc. – Administrative litigation defense of alleged unlawful pesticide marketing claim brought by EPA against our client under Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA).
- Southeastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority v. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Department of Environmental Protection – Appeal of environmental regulatory issues taken on behalf of SEPTA to the Pennsylvania Environmental Hearing Board.
- Assisted client in investigating source of, and potentially liable parties for, PCB contamination on former industrial site, including locating and interpreting decades-old transactional documents, which enabled it to identify a large, currently viable public company as a potentially responsible party for liability for which the client was being wrongly pursued.
- Eastern America Fire – This matter is representative of the Environmental Emergency Response and Consulting Services we provide. Our lawyers were called to an emergency 10-acre warehouse fire scene in early part of fire, said to be the second largest in Philadelphia history, to advise the president of the company on scene. We organized immediate retention of multiple emergency response environmental contractors, and interfaced with emergency responders and representatives of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the U.S. Coast Guard, and the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection. We then collaborated with Philadelphia fire department officials to identify materials in warehouse, based on EPCRA filings. The client’s President was later issued a commendation by the City of Philadelphia for exemplary efforts in response to this fire.