Lateral Shareholders and Senior Counsel
At Stevens & Lee, we welcome lateral shareholders with portable books of business as well as senior counsel with specialized legal expertise. In either case, our priority is to help you grow – either your book of business or your technical niche. Lateral shareholder and senior counsel recruiting is an important investment in and a key component of realizing our strategic agenda. From day one, we work with you to make important connections while integrating you and your practice into our culture of teamwork and excellence. Our goal is to identify and create opportunities for both you and the firm, and we will leverage our firmwide talent and resources to ensure your success.
To achieve your goals, we develop a customized integration and business development plan to guide your success. After initial onboarding, we shift our focus to implementing your business plan to ensure you achieve important milestones and victories. Our process will serve to support your ability to provide superior service to clients, continue to excel in your areas of expertise and build your book of business.
We enjoy highly favorable profits per partner, revenue per lawyer and net income per lawyer. This success is generated by our distinctive approach to the practice of law, client service and environment of camaraderie and mutual respect. We have earned a reputation as a firm with a deep legal bench and strong industry focus. To that end, we continuously invest in understanding the needs of our clients and the industries in which they compete.
Our professional services platform of non-legal businesses, including a FINRA-licensed investment bank, government affairs practice, tax-exempt financial advisory firm, national ESOP firm, insurance risk management business and other businesses create unique opportunities for you to better serve clients. Our multidisciplinary professional services companies provide value for clients and uncommon venues for revenue production and income opportunities for shareholders.
Our mission is to provide the platform of products and services that empower our professionals to solve complicated problems, all while consistently delivering an exceptional client experience. Whether you are an experienced lawyer looking for the right opportunity to better serve your clients, a more junior lawyer eager to develop the skills and relationships needed to succeed, or a business professional who really wants to make a difference, Stevens & Lee offers you a unique opportunity to realize the best version of your professional self.
Stevens & Lee represents publicly traded and private companies in the complete range of corporate and securities matters, including public offerings, follow-on-equity offerings, private placements and private investment in public equities (PIPE) transactions, shelf registrations of debt and equity securities, medium-term note programs, private debt and equity placements, Rule 144A/Reg S transactions, debt financings, and private equity investments and transactions. We also represent underwriters and placement agents in both public and private equity and debt financings.
Our team advises corporate clients on a wide variety of U.S. securities laws and general corporate and regulatory matters, including compliance with and reporting under the Securities Act, the Securities Exchange Act and related statutes, and the rules and regulations of self-regulatory organizations, including the NYSE, NASDAQ and FINRA. We also represent public companies in dealings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including responding to and resolving SEC comment letters and disclosure and accounting matters.
Due to the growth and strategic importance of this practice, we are looking to hire one or two shareholders fifteen or more years of experience. This is an extraordinary opportunity for highly qualified attorneys to assume first chair responsibilities quickly and practice group responsibilities over time. In addition to a background in general corporate and securities representation, experience with financial institutions and/or prior work as in-house counsel at a publicly traded organization is beneficial.
The breadth of this practice within the firm allows us to welcome candidates located anywhere in the eastern half of Pennsylvania or the state of New Jersey. Successful candidates will have experience in any of the following areas:
- SEC filings and compliance
- Capital markets transactions
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Corporate governance
- Regulatory and operational matters
Candidates must be licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania or New Jersey.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
General – we have several positions for attorneys with 10-20 years of experience who are capable of assuming first-chair responsibilities. We also have openings for service partners with demonstrated expertise in a defined area. Portable books of business – while helpful – are a secondary requirement in both cases.
Practice Groups – due to growth in our core practices, we have high demand for shareholders and counsel/senior associates in Corporate (M&A/Equity/Debt), Health Care (Corp/M&A and regulatory), Litigation and Insurance (regulatory, transactional and various alternative risk formats). In addition, we also have significant needs in Real Estate (land-use and transactional), Tax (federal and state) and Trusts and Estates.
Geography – while we welcome attorneys in all parts of our footprint, Greater Philadelphia, Wilmington and New Jersey are priority markets due to recent and planned growth.
Key elements of the plan include:
- Research and understanding of the market and landscape for your practice
- Development of your value proposition for clients now that you have joined Stevens & Lee
- Identification of synergies and cross-serving opportunities with our clients and other Stevens & Lee Companies
- Selection of strategic targets and plans to pursue
- Action Plan with detailed tasks, responsibilities and deadlines
- Appropriate feedback mechanisms and metrics
Practice group leaders, firm leadership and administration continue to work in concert with you for the first six to 12 months to ensure that momentum continues and integration is deep and seamless.
- Economics: Due to our professional management and low overhead, we maintain best-in-class margins and profitability. In addition, our strong balance sheet and status as a professional corporation provide stability without undue risk, personal guarantees or significant capital contributions.
- Compensation: Our compensation system is transparent and tied directly to productivity, and our lawyers generally receive higher compensation for the same productivity compared to our competitors.
- Cross-serving Culture: Sharing, trust and mutual respect characterize our firm’s way of doing business and result in colleagues actively looking to draw upon our full array of service offerings for their clients.
- Platform of Companies: As part of a multidisciplinary group of professional services firm, our lawyers leverage the knowledge of their non-lawyer professional colleagues to provide greater value to their clients which ultimately results in new revenue and income opportunities.
- Management: We provide the professional planning, management and resources needed to help our shareholders grow their books of business and ultimately increase our firm-wide revenue and client base.
- Financial Security: We maintain a fully-funded savings plan (10% of total compensation) for our lawyers and employees, along with generous health care, life insurance and long-term disability plans paid by the firm with no premium co-pay for all employees, including shareholders.
- Entrepreneurialism: Our firm is entrepreneurial in structure and culture; it is imbedded in our culture, visible in our brand and conveyed through our work with our clients.