- White Collar Defense and Investigations
- Financial Institutions
- Penn State Dickinson Law School
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 215.751.1956
- Fax: 610.988.0801
- Phone: 610.478.2219
Dan concentrates his practice in complex commercial and class action litigation, and has tried more than 35 cases to verdict, some lasting as long as six weeks. His trials have included two class action cases tried to verdict and three RICO cases tried to verdict. Most recently, in the fall of 2016, he was trial counsel in an ERISA case tried to verdict in federal court in the Southern District of New York.
Dan was twice lead appellate counsel in a False Claims Act appeal argued before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. He was trial counsel to a defendant in the federal class action litigation stemming from the Kids-For-Cash scandal involving the Luzerne County Juvenile System, where the trial judge commented that Dan “has extensive experience defending complex litigation and class actions.”
In addition, he was trial counsel in a 2005 federal class action jury trial involving an FLSA claim for overtime resulting in a unanimous verdict for his client after a 2-1/2 week trial. In 2004, he was involved in the largest class action price fixing case in the history of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Over the past 30 years, Dan has represented major corporations in their litigation, including International Paper Company, EnerSys, Independence Blue Cross, Capital Blue Cross, Erie Insurance Group, Carpenter Technology Corporation, Santander Bank, and Wells Fargo.
As a former federal prosecutor in Philadelphia, Dan headed a number of grand jury investigations and prosecuted complex and lengthy criminal cases. He was promoted to the Special Prosecutions Division of the U.S. Attorney’s Office, where he specialized in complex criminal investigations and political corruption cases. He was an instructor at the U.S. Attorney General’s Advocacy Institute in Washington, D.C., and was awarded a Special Commendation for Outstanding Service by the U.S. Department of Justice for his prosecution of an international drug smuggling ring.
Twice Dan was appointed to Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panels for the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. He was selected to head an investigative panel on the qualifications of a Pennsylvania Superior Court Judge candidate as part of the Pennsylvania Bar Association Judicial Evaluation Commission. He also was a gubernatorial appointee to the Governor’s Judicial Advisory Commission for Berks County, and was appointed to the Hearing Committee for the Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania.
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- The Justice William Strong American Inn of Court, Master
- Berks County Bar Association, past President and former Director
- PA Chamber of Business and Industry, member of 2015 Judicial Task Force to evaluate candidates for the Pennsylvania appellate courts
- Law Foundation of Berks County, former Director
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Judicial Independence Committee, Chair
- Albright College, Board of Trustees
- Caron Treatment Centers, Board of Trustees and former Chair
- United Way of Berks County, Board of Directors; Co-Chair of the 2014 Annual Campaign, which raised $9.6 million
- Greater Reading Chamber of Business & Industry, former Director and Vice Chair
- South Mountain YMCA, past President and former Director
- YMCA of Reading & Berks County, former Director
- Berks County Government Study Commission, elected Commissioner and Secretary
Dan is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, both of which are invitation-only honorary societies of trial lawyers. He is AV® Preeminent™ rated by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell, which is the highest rating for legal ability and general ethics.
As published in Philadelphia magazine, Dan has been recognized as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer since the publication’s inception in 2004, including for 2020, having been selected by his peers as among the top 5 percent of lawyers in the Commonwealth. He also has been recognized in The Best Lawyers in America in the fields of media law and commercial litigation.
- Dickinson School of Law of The Pennsylvania State University, J.D., 1975; Editor, Dickinson Law Review
- Denison University, B.A., cum laude
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Tax Court
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court