- Health Care
- Health Care
- University of Pennsylvania Law School
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Valley Forge
- Phone: 610.205.6017
- Fax: 610.371.7965
Charles represents health care providers, including health care systems, managed care organizations, integrated delivery systems and physician groups in a wide range of matters, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, affiliations and reorganizations, exempt organization tax planning and tax-exempt financing, health care contracting, compliance and medical staff and reimbursement matters. He also handles Medicare and Medicaid billing and related regulatory matters, licensure matters and health care antitrust matters.
Charles lectures on health care, tax and antitrust issues affecting nonprofit organizations and health care providers before numerous organizations and is the author of various articles on tax and health care subjects. He was an adjunct professor at the Temple University School of Law Graduate Tax Program.
Charles served as law clerk for Justice Sidney M. Schreiber, Supreme Court of New Jersey.
While in law school, he was Editor of the University of Pennsylvania Law Review and was elected to the Order of the Coif.
Charles is a contributor to the Health Law Observer blog.
- Represented WellSpan Health in its affiliation with Summit Health
- Represented Guthrie Clinic in its affiliation with Cortland Regional Medical Center
- Represented Susquehanna Health System in its affiliation with the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- Represented Prospect Medical Holdings, Inc. in its acquisition of Crozer-Keystone Health System
- Represented Lancaster General Health in its affiliation with The University of Pennsylvania Health System
- Represented Guthrie Clinic in its affiliation with Memorial Hospital (Towanda, PA)
- Represented WellSpan Health in its affiliation with Good Samaritan Hospital
- Represented Mercy Health System in the sale of Mercy Suburban Hospital to Prime Healthcare Foundation
- Represented WellSpan Health in its affiliation with Ephrata Community Hospital
- Represented Mercy Health System and Mercy Health Plan in the sale of Mercy Health Plan’s interest in AmeriHealth Mercy Health Plan and Keystone Mercy Health Plan to Independence Blue Cross and Blue Cross of Michigan
- Represented Susquehanna Health System in its acquisition of Laurel Health System
- Represented Mercy Health System in the sale of St. Agnes Long Term Care Hospital to Triumph HealthCare
- Represented St. Agnes Medical Center (Mercy Health System of Southeastern Pennsylvania) in the sale of its short-term acute care operations to Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals and in the establishment of a new long-term acute care hospital/continuing care facility at St. Agnes
- Represented Phoenixville Community Health Foundation in the sale by Phoenixville Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania Health System to Community Health Systems
- Represented Woman’s Medical Hospital in its purchase of Medical College of Pennsylvania from Tenet
- Acted as transaction counsel in the affiliation of Gnaden Huetten Memorial Hospital and Palmerton Hospital to form Blue Mountain Health System
- Represented Carlisle Hospital in its sale to Health Management Associates
- Represented Lancaster Health Alliance in the sale of Brandywine Hospital to Community Health Systems
- Represented Guthrie Clinic in its affiliation with Guthrie Healthcare System
- Represented Frankford Hospital in its acquisition of Delaware Valley Medical Center
- Represented York Health System in its affiliation with Gettysburg Hospital to form WellSpan Health
- Represented Frankford Health Care System in its affiliation with Jefferson Health System
- Represented Pennsylvania College of Podiatric Medicine in its affiliation with Temple University
- Represented Phoenixville Hospital in its sale to the University of Pennsylvania Health System
- Acted as counsel in the affiliation of Providence Health System and North Central Pennsylvania Health System to form Susquehanna Health System
- Represented Divine Providence Hospital in its acquisition of Muncy Valley Hospital
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section
As published in Philadelphia magazine, Charles has been recognized as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer by being selected by his peers as among the top 5 percent of lawyers in the Commonwealth and is recognized as among the leading health care lawyers, based on an intensive research process incorporating client feedback, by international legal research publisher Chambers & Partners.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., magna cum laude
- Cornell University, B.A., magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- New Jersey
- U.S. Tax Court