Powerful partnerships. Standout solutions.
- Phone: 215.751.1240
- Fax: 610.371.7916
- Health Care
- Health Care
- Higher Education
Joseph W. “Chip” Marshall, III, is Vice Chairman of the firm and also serves as Vice Chairman of Griffin Holdings Group.
A prominent and highly regarded figure in the health care industry and the Greater Philadelphia marketplace, Chip is the former Chairman and CEO of Temple University Health System, one of the largest health care organizations in Pennsylvania. In this capacity, he was responsible for an integrated delivery system comprised of five acute-care hospitals, a 120-bed behavioral health center, a critical care ground transportation company and a physician management company. During his tenure, all hospitals in the Temple health system received Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) scores of 95 or better, which placed it in the top tier of health systems in the country. Chip currently serves as Chair of Temple Health.
Chip also served as Director of Health Partners, a provider-owned Medicaid/Medicare Health Maintenance Organization operating in Greater Philadelphia, which maintained Medicaid and Medicare enrollment of approximately 180,000 people.
Equally active in the higher education community, Chip has been a member of the Temple University Board of Trustees for more than 25 years and is Chair of the Academic Affairs Committee and serves on its Executive Committee, and was a longtime member of the Board of Trustees of Salus University, formerly the Pennsylvania College of Optometry.
In addition, Chip has held several significant government-appointed positions, including being one of the original appointees to the seven-member Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board, which has jurisdiction over all aspects of the authorization, implementation and operation of slot machines in the Commonwealth. During his tenure, the board established the agency of state government charged with regulating the newly created gaming industry in Pennsylvania. He was involved with issuing the regulations necessary to implement the Pennsylvania Race Horse Development and Gaming Act, which permitted slot machines at racetracks converting them into racinos, and worked with other board members to issue six permanent racino licenses and five permanent casino licenses in December 2006.
Chip also served on the Medicaid Commission created by Congress and established by the Honorable Michael O. Leavitt, Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, where he advised the Secretary on ways to modernize the Medicaid program to provide high-quality health care to its beneficiaries in a financially sustainable way. He also served as Vice Chairman and Chairman of the Pennsylvania State Ethics Commission, which regulates the conduct of the majority of public employees, elected officials and candidates for public office in Pennsylvania.
- Temple University Health System, Chairman of the Board of Trustees
- Temple University Board of Trustees; Executive Committee; Committee on Trustee Affairs; Development Committee; Facilities Committee; Athletics Committee (1992-present)
- College of Physicians of Philadelphia, Fellow
- Cancer Treatment Centers of America (2011-present), Corporate Talent Committee
- Cross Current Business Analytics (2010-present), Chairman of the Board
- Compliance Management International (2011-present)
- Committee of 70
- First Bank of Delaware (2011-2019), Compensation Committee, Audit Committee
- Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board, Member (2004-2006)
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Medicaid Commission (2005-2006)
- Pennsylvania State Ethics Commission, Chairman (1988-1989), Vice Chairman (1987), Member (1986-1989, 1992-1994)
- American Hospital Association, Health Care Systems Governing Council (2007-present)
- Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges
- Salus University (fka Pennsylvania College of Optometry), Board of Trustees; Institutional Advancement Committee, Executive Committee, Finance Committee, Audit Committee (1993-present)
- Hospital and Health System Association of Pennsylvania; Executive Committee; Strategic Planning Committee; Bylaws and Leadership Committee; Steering Committee (1997-2002; 2005-2008)
- Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce, Member, CEO Council for Growth; Board of Directors (2002-2008)
- Public Interest Law Center of Philadelphia, Board Member
- Delaware Valley Healthcare Council of the Hospital and Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania (1998-2008)
- VHA Membership/Shareholder Evaluation Committee (July 2008-present)
- SIGA Technologies, Inc., Board of Directors; Chair, Compensation Committee; Member, Audit Committee (March 2009-present)
- Philadelphia Section PGA, Board of Directors (April 2009-present)
- American Bar Association
- Maxim Healthcare, Board of Directors; Chair, Compliance Committee (August 2017-present)
- Gaming and Leisure Properties, Inc., Board of Directors; Chair, Audit Committee; Member, Nomination and Governance Committee (2013-present)
- Temple University School of Law, J.D.
- Temple University, B.A.
- Holy Family University, D.H.L., honoris causa
- New Jersey
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- Supreme Court of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia