Powerful partnerships. Standout solutions.
- Harrisburg Market Square
- Phone: 717.255.7365
- Fax: 610.988.0852
- Energy, Communications and Public Utility
- State and Local Tax
- Technology, Telecommunications and Life Sciences
Michael concentrates his practice in the areas of energy, public utility and tax law. He is an experienced administrative litigator who represents clients in complex regulatory proceedings before various state public utility commissions, and in tax controversies in numerous forums.
Michael’s clients include electricity and natural gas suppliers, national and regional telecommunications providers, electric distribution companies, water and wastewater companies, renewable energy developers, and large utility consumers. He advises his clients in a wide range of legal and utility regulatory matters, including:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Financings transactions
- Tariff and rate issues
- Licensing, sales and marketing compliance
- Customer privacy issues
- Advanced metering infrastructure
- Consumer complaints
- Transfers of control
- Public utility commission rulemakings and investigations
Michael has assisted numerous energy suppliers and telecommunications providers with their growth and market expansion. His guidance to energy suppliers and telecommunications companies includes licensing and regulatory compliance for new market entry, corporate formation, negotiation of ISDAs, financing and preferred supplier agreements, mergers and acquisitions, utility coordination issues, vendor agreements, and state commission relations. He also has defended numerous companies against commission investigations, attorney general complaints, and customer disputes and he regularly advises his clients on best practices to avoid such controversies.
Michael has particular expertise in representing companies before the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission, and has also assisted clients in matters before the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities, Maryland Public Service Commission, Delaware Public Service Commission, Public Utilities Commission of Ohio, Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities, Illinois Commerce Commission and Connecticut Public Utilities Regulatory Authority.
Michael also represents a diverse mix of clients in tax controversies in various jurisdictions. He has represented corporations and non-profit entities in sales, use, income, gross receipts, business privilege, realty transfer, fuels, and property tax matters in 20 states. His tax clients have included telecommunications companies, broadcasters, internet service providers, manufacturers, non-profits, publishers, financial institutions, retailers and hospitals.
- Dauphin County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Institute for Professionals in Taxation
- Federal Communications Bar Association
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D.
- The Pennsylvania State University, B.S., with high distinction
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit