Powerful partnerships. Standout solutions.
- Phone: 609.243.6424
- Fax: 610.371.7914
- Administrative Law and Government Contracts
- Real Estate
- State and Local Tax
- Higher Education
- State and Local Government
Ryan represents private and government clients in all aspects of real estate acquisition and development. He frequently represents clients before planning and zoning boards throughout New Jersey and provides strategic insights to multidiscipline solutions that guide projects from start to finish.
Ryan also serves as a local elected official, sits on a municipal land use board and helps his clients navigate the intersection of land use and other government processes. He assists throughout the entire planning and zoning process for projects of all sizes: redevelopments of entire corporate campuses, approvals of quick-serve restaurants, solar canopies, trucking facilities, infill residential and mixed-use developments and for individual homeowners, everything from historic preservation commission review to the nuanced approvals needed for accessory dwelling units.
With significant involvement in open space preservation, Ryan regularly advises institutional easement holders and guides both nonprofits and private owners through the acquisition and preservation process. A member of the firms State and Location Taxation (SALT) Group, he also frequently appears before the New Jersey Tax Court and represents property owners in real estate tax appeals throughout the Garden State. His experience includes advising clients on New Jersey election, campaign finance and pay-to-play law as well as government procurement and municipal law.
In addition, Ryan acts as redevelopment and condemnation counsel for both public and private parties, guiding numerous projects across all phases of planning and development. Of note, he has served as special outside counsel for one of the first transit villages in New Jersey; successfully argued one of the seminal wetlands valuation cases in New Jersey (NJ Transit v. Mori, 435 N.J. Super. 425 (App. Div. 2014)); and managed a team of attorneys representing the State of New Jersey in several large beach protection property acquisition projects.
A regular lecturer of zoning in the Princeton Area, Ryan often speaks to trade groups, educators and other professionals on a range of topics that from affordable housing to historic preservation.
Ryan is a former Judicial Law Clerk to The Honorable Joseph L. Yannotti, New Jersey Superior Court, Appellate Division. While in law school, he was a member of the Seton Hall Circuit Review Journal.
- Representation of higher education institution in redevelopment and sale of a former downtown campus
- Representation of financial institution in redevelopment and repurposing of a 60,000-squarefoot office complex to create center for East Coast operations
- Representation of national and regional entities in development and approval of quick-serve restaurants, trucking facilities and 100% affordable housing developments
- Representation of New Jersey agency in property acquisitions for light rail transit system and development of one of State’s first transit village projects
- Representation of international pharmaceutical company in development of multi-building manufacturing, research and distribution facility
- Representation of national developer in the redevelopment of former financial campus, including modification of development rights and sale to a national homebuilder
- Hopewell Valley YMCA, President, Board of Directors
- Friends of Hopewell Valley Open Space, Vice President, Board of Directors
- RWJ Hamilton Hospital Foundation, Trustee; and former Hospital Audit Committee Member
- Township of Lawrence Growth and Redevelopment Committee, Former Vice-Chair
- Hopewell Borough Council
- Hopewell Borough Planning Board, Mayor’s Designee and Redevelopment and Affordable Housing Subcommittees Member
- Hopewell Borough Economic Development Committee
- Princeton Regional/MIDJersey Chamber of Commerce; Hopewell Valley Former Chapter Chair
- Princeton Area Community Foundation; Professional Advisors Committee and NextGen Giving Circle
As published in the New Jersey Law Journal, Ryan was named one of the New Leaders of the Bar in 2017. He was also recognized as a New Jersey Super Lawyer Rising Star from 2014 through 2020.
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Boston College, B.A.
- New Jersey