Powerful partnerships. Standout solutions.
- Bergen County
- Phone: 201.857.6777
- Fax: 610.371.8597
- New York
- Financial Institutions
Ryan focuses on litigation before state and federal trial and appellate courts and arbitration tribunals in New Jersey, New York and other jurisdictions in a diverse range of practices areas including:
- Commercial and business litigation and contract disputes
- Financial services litigation representing secured lenders, mortgage servicers and investors in all aspects of residential and commercial mortgage and lease litigation, and representing captive finance lenders in the automotive industry
- Class actions and multi-district litigation
- Internal investigations, compliance, audits and crisis management
- Life and disability insurance litigation representing insurers with respect to claims for benefits
- Local government law representing municipalities as counsel and as special counsel
- Election law and campaign finance law representing elected officials and candidates of municipal, county and legislative entities, local and county political party organizations, and municipal and county clerks in all areas of New Jersey partisan and non-partisan election litigation; representing entities and donors on all aspects of federal and New Jersey campaign finance laws, and public bidding and contracts
- Owner-operator and franchisor/franchisee relationship issues
- Surety litigation representing surety companies in payment and performance bond litigation, indemnity litigation and construction completion takeover issues
- Employment litigation in the areas of wage and hour and non-competition disputes
- Sports law representing collegiate coaches and athletic departments in compliance investigations commenced by the NCAA, and representing alumni to form NIL Collectives and provide guidance on Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) compliance and related issues
Ryan was installed as a Trustee of the Essex County Bar Association in 2023. Ryan was one of only five lawyers to be appointed to the New Jersey State Bar Association’s Special Committee on Election Law and was a voting member of its Subcommittee on Legislation, which conducts reviews and advises the NJSBA on pending legislation concerning and affecting election law. Ryan was also selected to assist with the State of New Jersey’s implementation of the Help America Vote Act of 2002, a federal law passed by Congress after Bush v. Gore to reform the national voting process by requiring all voting systems in the United States to meet certain criteria. He is regularly retained by elected officials and candidates, political party organizations and clerks during primary and general election cycles in election recounts and contests, and has served on Election Day legal teams for dozens of New Jersey gubernatorial, legislative and municipal candidates.
Ryan is a contributing author of the annually updated New Jersey Local Government Desk Book, specifically the chapters on the Open Public Records Act, Election Law, and Municipal Finance, and provided the research for an article that addressed the potential liability of corporate officers and directors of environmental companies pursuant to various state and federal environmental statutes.
Following law school, Ryan served as a federal law clerk to the Hon. Dennis M. Cavanaugh U.S.D.J. (ret.) in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey.
- American Bar Association
- Beverly Hills Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- The Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey
- New Jersey State Bar Association – Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Section; Federal Practice Committee
- New York State Bar Association – Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Section
- Essex County Bar Association, Trustee
- Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey
- District VC (Essex County – West Essex) District Fee Arbitration Committee – Arbitrator
- Sports Lawyers Association
- Historical Society of the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey – Board Member
- Montclair Hockey Club – Past Board Member
- Seton Hall Law School, J.D.
- Seton Hall University, B.A.
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York