Intellectual Property Litigation
Stevens & Lee’s intellectual property litigators are dedicated to protecting and enforcing our clients’ intellectual property rights. Our lawyers appreciate that in today’s marketplace, ideas and brands are more than just words and images; they are key elements to a company’s business strategy and a foundation for growth.
Led by Joseph E. Wolfson and Elliott J. Stein, our lawyers in this group have extensive knowledge and expertise in the legal issues affecting intellectual property litigation. We have represented clients across a broad spectrum of industries in various intellectual property litigation matters, including patent, copyright, trademark, licensing, trade secrets, and false advertising. We also have extensive experience with international intellectual property issues.
We have represented clients before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, the U.S. Copyright Office, in federal and state courts, and before regulatory and administrative agencies. We have successfully tried many intellectual property disputes to verdict, including cases involving patent infringement and licensing, trademark infringement, unfair competition and false advertising, as well as the nation’s first outsourced E-911 emergency response system.
Not all of our IP work is litigation. We consult with our clients on a range of IP issues and provide a host of additional IP services:
- Our IP lawyers regularly assist clients with drafting and prosecuting U.S. or international trademark applications; filing copyright registration applications; performing due diligence reviews and analyses; analyzing and drafting infringement or validity legal opinions; advising on trade secret matters; and protecting IP assets or avoiding infringing the IP rights of others.
- We consult on the selection, clearance and protection of trademarks and trade dress, and the development, ownership and protection of copyrights. Our attorneys advise clients on various advertising and marketing issues, such as false advertising, right of publicity, comparative advertising and copyright infringement.
- We are regularly involved in the licensing, sale and acquisition of all types of intellectual property. We routinely assist our clients in the acquisition, protection and licensing of software and technology services. We have substantial experience in drafting and negotiating trademark license agreements, particularly private label and corporate brand agreements, as well as a wide variety of patent, technology and software licensing agreements.
- We are actively engaged in the myriad of legal issues involved with the utilization of the Internet, including the development and use of websites, e-commerce matters, domain name disputes, and privacy issues.
- We consult regularly with our clients regarding policies and procedures for protecting trade secrets and confidential information, and frequently draft and negotiate non-disclosure and confidentiality agreements.