Litigation in Higher Education
Stevens & Lee has extensive experience trying cases in state and federal courts and before administrative agencies and arbitration panels nationwide.
Our trial lawyers litigate various aspects of the law applicable to colleges and universities, including intellectual property, employee benefits, construction, insurance, real estate and environmental issues and commercial disputes, among others.
Recent representative higher education litigation matters include:
- Ongoing representation of a private Pennsylvania university in its estate litigation matters
- Represented a private university in a contract action involving introduction of Internet 2 technology to Northeastern Pennsylvania
- Represented a Foundation affiliated with a state college to address construction workmanship and defect issues in multiple college dormitory buildings
- Represented a university in a breach of contract suit filed against the university in U.S. District Court involving over-enrollment and accreditation issues; successfully settled before trial
- Represented a university in an NCAA investigation of its men’s basketball program
- Represented a liberal arts college in successfully defeating breach of contract charges brought by a student dissatisfied with the quality of the educational experience