Health Care Finance
Stevens & Lee has assisted numerous health care entities, including hospitals and health systems, continuing care retirement communities, personal care facilities, senior living facilities, family health clinics and non-profit community-based health care providers in health care finance matters. Our experience with both taxable and tax-exempt debt permits us to advise our clients on the appropriate financing structures to help realize their strategic objectives and to provide guidance regarding ongoing compliance matters.
In addition, our firm’s extensive experience and expertise in the health care sector provide our clients with the added benefit of working with counsel who understand the transaction and its implications for all parties from all perspectives. Our focus in any health care financing is to maximize the tax and financial structure of a transaction while obtaining the best possible results for the transaction as a whole.
We have participated as bond counsel, underwriter’s counsel or hospital/corporate counsel in over 120 financings in the past decade, including:
- Served as hospital counsel to a community-based, not-for-profit health care system comprised of three regional hospitals in Pennsylvania and New York in three separate financings to construct a new facility, provide for ongoing capital improvements and to restructure existing debt at more favorable rates and terms
- Served as corporate counsel and bond counsel to a large regional post-acute care system formed through a combination of five separate corporations in multiple financings to restructure existing debt and fund consolidation and to provide for capital improvements
- Served as bond counsel or hospital counsel in more than a dozen separate financings for a regional not-for-profit provider of comprehensive acute care, post-acute rehabilitation, behavioral and occupational health services to fund capital improvements, including the construction of a new regional cancer center
- Served as bond counsel and corporate counsel in multiple financings to fund construction of facilities and capital improvements for a not-for-profit, multi-county, multi-facility organization specializing in health care, housing and support services for senior adults
- Served as bond counsel in multiple financings to fund capital improvements and refinance existing debt for a northeastern Pennsylvania health system comprised of a regional hospital and a skilled nursing facility offering both long term nursing home care and short-term inpatient rehabilitation services
- Served as special tax counsel in financing the acquisition of a regional cancer research center by a leading academic medical center and hospital system