Theresa M. Zechman
- Fax: 610.236.4185
Powerful partnerships. Standout solutions.
- Phone: 717.399.6644
- Fax: 610.236.4185
- Labor and Employment
- Higher Education
Theresa concentrates her practice in labor management and employee relations, including counseling and litigation. She represents management in all human resource and employment issues including Title VII, Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Fair Labor Standards Act and other federal, state and local employment discrimination and wage and hour laws. Theresa also handles cases involving individual and class action wage and hour claims, wrongful discharge and other traditional contractual claims arising from employment, including breach of employment contracts, at all stages of litigation. She represents employers in discrimination matters before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and various state and local agencies as well as state and federal court.
In addition, Theresa represents and counsels employers regarding the creation and application of workplace and personnel policies, including leaves of absence, USERRA, EEO, FMLA, FLSA, discrimination, harassment, searches, drug and alcohol, workplace violence, e-mail and electronic communication policies. Theresa has also handled numerous matters in the field of immigration law, with a particular focus on EB-1 extraordinary ability and outstanding researcher petitions.
Theresa regularly counsels employers on compliance issues regarding the maintenance and administration of employment-related policies, including anti-discrimination policies, COVID-19 related issues, harassment avoidance policies, e-mail and electronic communication policies, social media policies and policies addressing family and medical leave. Theresa frequently lectures on topics including harassment avoidance, administration of the FMLA and the ADA, absence control management, managing in a union environment, maintaining a union free workplace for the non-union employer, effective documentation, e-mail and privacy, social media and the workplace, legal and effective hiring practices, managing intermittent FMLA leave and other employee relations topics, including issues related to COVID-19.
Theresa has significant experience conducting work place investigations, including those involving complaints related to equal employment opportunity and harassment, wage and hour, unsafe workplaces, whistle-blower, FMLA administration, ADA administration and other general employment-related grievances in an effort to save clients time and money, and to preserve good employee relations. Her investigative experience includes work corporate clients of all types and sizes.
- Kamau v. East Penn Manufacturing
- Smith v. East Penn Manufacturing
- Dougherty v. Teva Pharmaceuticals
- Nesgoda v. Lewistown Valley Enterprises
- Kittredge v. Agnew, et al.
- Lancaster County Bar Association, former Long Range Planning Committee Chair
- Lancaster County Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section, former Board Chair
- Lancaster County Bar Association, Diversity Committee
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section, Women in the Profession Committee
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section
- The Pennsylvania State University, Smeal College of Business, Executive MBA
- Widener University School of Law, J.D.
- The Pennsylvania State University, B.S.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit