Real Estate Tax and Tax Assessment Appeals
Stevens & Lee provides clients with proactive solutions to a full spectrum of tax issues involving real estate. We represent clients in matters involving federal, state and local real estate taxation. Specific areas include:
- Ad valorem real estate tax assessments
- Realty transfer (documentary stamp) taxes
- Use and occupancy taxes
- Real estate tax exemptions, including the defense of tax exemptions for non-profit entities
- Tax abatement programs
- IRC § 1031 exchanges
- Tax credit syndications
- Income, franchise, gross receipts and business privilege taxes on real estate companies
- Payroll taxes and tax reporting requirements for real estate companies
- Estate, inheritance and gift tax implications of real estate interests
- Representation at all level of tax appeals
We also assist clients in obtaining letter rulings and tax advantaged zones and designations. We are experienced in drafting tax ordinances and in negotiating payment-in-lieu of tax agreements (PILOTs), including real estate PILOTs between non-profits and government entities.
Stevens & Lee has represented clients in numerous tax assessment and exemption appeal cases ranging from reviewing and evaluating each appeal, to representing clients before administrative and quasi-judicial appeal boards and in local and state courts. Several of our attorneys have extensive experience in dealing with real estate appraisers, consultants and other experts employed in the tax assessment and exemption appeal process.