Defamation, Privacy and First Amendment
Stevens & Lee represents businesses and media outlets in matters ranging from defending claims and lawsuits for defamation (and other reputational torts) or invasion of privacy, to pursuing claims for public and media access to courtrooms, public records, and government meetings.
We strive for a practical, results-oriented approach for our clients. We believe in defending the media from assaults and share our clients’ passion for wide access to government information under First Amendment and other access law.
Our media clients confront defamation and First Amendment matters daily. We provide litigation and counseling services in such areas as libel, subpoenas to reporters and news outlets, right of access to information, licensing, copyright, free speech, Sunshine Act and Right-to-Know issues. We represent both business and media clients in First Amendment, defamation and privacy suits.
Daniel B. Huyett, who heads our First Amendment/defamation practice, is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, both of which are invitation-only honorary societies of trial lawyers, and has been selected by his peers as one of The Best Lawyers in America from 2008 to 2018 for his “high caliber of work” in the field of media law.
Our core services include:
- Litigation: Representing newspaper and magazine publishers in claims and suits, including defamation, libel, and invasion of privacy.
- Advertising Law And Commercial Speech: Prosecution and defense of claims alleging false or misleading advertising under the Lanham Act and state libel and deceptive trade practices laws, and counseling regarding same.
- Prosecuting And Defending Copyright, Trademark and Patent Claims: Representation of clients in various IP litigation matters, including copyright, trademark and patent infringement, false or misleading advertising, trade secrets, licensing disputes, and technology disputes.
- Privacy: Counseling relating to the myriad of privacy laws and regulations governing the ever-growing and changing collection and use of information, and litigation regarding same, including claims under FACTA, TCPA, HIPAA, and GLBA.
- Access to Courts and Government: Pursuit of access to court proceedings, public records and open meetings, both for members of the news media and other citizens. You can rely on Stevens & Lee for straight answers to your questions and an assertive defense of your rights under the law. We’ll tell you if you’re likely to get access to a particular record or not, and we’ll guide you toward a timely and cost-effective resolution.