Stevens & Lee has a long history of representing public employers in the Commonwealth and is thoroughly familiar with the local, state and federal statutes, regulations and case law applicable to public entities. We have represented numerous counties, cities, boroughs, townships, transportation authorities, municipal authorities and other public entities and public sector employers, both in labor and employment matters, as well as in all other general municipal matters. Many of our lawyers serve or have served as general solicitors and as labor solicitors, have acted as the chief spokesperson and lead negotiator in collective bargaining negotiations and have both presented and served as the panel arbitrator in interest arbitrations under Pennsylvania Act 111 and Act 195.
Stevens & Lee also serves as counsel for labor and collective bargaining issues to the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development in connection with Municipalities Financial Recovery Act (Act 47) Recovery Plans for the City of Reading (Berks County, PA), the City of Harrisburg (Dauphin County, PA) and the City of Altoona (Blair County, PA), as well as for the Office of the Receiver of the City of Harrisburg.
We have represented public sector clients in the following areas:
- Pennsylvania Public Employes Relations Act (Act 195)
- Pennsylvania Police and Fire Collective Bargaining Act (Act 111)
- Pennsylvania Municipalities Financial Recovery Act (Act 47)
- Collective bargaining agreements, negotiations and arbitrations
- Pennsylvania and federal wage and hour laws
- Local, state and federal discrimination laws
- All other state and federal employment related laws, regulations and executive orders
- Insurance and liability defense
- General personnel, human resources and labor relations advice and representation
- General contracting law
- Pennsylvania’s Municipalities Authorities Act of 1945
- Pennsylvania’s Political Subdivision Tort Claims Act