Powerful partnerships. Standout solutions.
- Phone: 717.399.6621
- Fax: 610.236.4174
- Tax-Exempt Finance
- Higher Education
- State and Local Government
- Notre Dame Law School
John focuses his practice on state and local government, municipal law, public-private partnership (P-3) projects, infrastructure and government affairs. He represents state and local municipal government units and municipal authorities, including housing, redevelopment, convention center, water and solid waste, infrastructure, stadium, hospital and transit projects, as well as school districts and colleges. John is a member of the Stevens & Lee team which successfully represents clients in connection with securing and implementing state-sponsored financial assistance programs. He represents private-sector clients in connection with complex procurement, bidding, contracting and security services.
Throughout his career, John has represented Pennsylvania municipalities in legal, infrastructure, management, operations, procurement, personnel, budgeting, capital projects, finance and taxation matters.
He has served and/or presently serves as counsel for governmental entities:
- Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development (DCED): Counsel in connection with Pennsylvania’s Municipalities Financial Recovery Act (Act 47) including the cities of Shamokin, Altoona, Harrisburg and Reading
- Lancaster County Redevelopment Authority
- Advisor in connection with the use and adoption of TIF, BID and LERTA financing techniques and securing financing for economic development projects
- Lancaster County Housing Authority
- Lancaster County Redevelopment Authority in the successful construction, development and continuing ownership of Clipper Magazine Stadium
- Lancaster County Convention Center Authority (lead counsel in the successful 10-year development and construction of the $170 million Hotel and Convention Center as a public-private partnership)
- Lancaster County Land Bank Authority
- County of Lancaster Board of County Commissioners, Solicitor
- Solicitor and/or special counsel for a number of Pennsylvania school districts
Select representative engagements:
- Advised government units in connection with municipal asset monetization and related structured transactions
- Served as special counsel in connection with a city’s successful take-back of the water and sewer infrastructure systems assets from municipal authorities, one of the largest municipal infrastructure take-backs in Pennsylvania history
- Represents public-private partnership (P3) infrastructure projects on behalf of either public sector clients or private sector clients
- Represented a municipal authority as special counsel and successfully defended against the hostile takeover by a local government of the authority’s water/sewer system
- Represented a PA county in the negotiated sale and privatization of a large county nursing home
- Represented a multinational Japanese manufacturer in a successful high stakes litigation in the U.S. over a period of six years
- Represented a multinational Japanese firm in the negotiation and acquisition of a German manufacturing facility in Germany
- Represented a Swiss manufacturing firm in the U.S. in connection with transactional, contracting and procurement matters
- Represented Pennsylvania colleges in connection with higher education issues
- Translates German language documents and information for clients
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Pennsylvania Bond Lawyers Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Lancaster County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Lancaster World Affairs Council
- Lancaster Rotary Club
- Hamilton Club of Lancaster
- Pennsylvania Society
- Scoring Judge, American Mock Trial Association (Colleges & Universities) – Opening Round Championship Series Tournament
- University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D.
- London Centre for Legal Studies, London, England
- Philipps Universität, Marburg, Germany
- The Pennsylvania State University, M.P.A.
- Elizabethtown College, B.A.